Re: additional packages

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: additional packages
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:19:39 +0100

Ben Abbott schrieb:
On Thursday, February 28, 2008, at 04:28PM, "Henry F. Mollet" <address@hidden>
wrote:

on 2/28/08 12:40 PM, Ben Abbott at address@hidden wrote:

On Thursday, February 28, 2008, at 03:15PM, "jennifer jentzsch"
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

a few days ago i just started using octave in addition to gnuplot in
order to solve some integrals to calculate a shielding for a new
physical experiment at our chair. i am working on an ibook g4 with
Mac Os 10.4. Via fink i installed octave 2.1.71, the only available
version. after many hours of trying to adjust the errors:

error: 'print' undefined
error: 'quadl' undefined

i found out that these functions are not part of octave-2.1.71. Can i
install some additional packages subsequently? i know that there is
also a version 3.0.0 but this one is not available via fink and i do
not want to download the binary via sourceforge....

i hope you can help me!
greetings
jennifer jentzsch
experimental physics 4
universtity of technology dortmund
Hi Jennifer,

Regarding Fink, if you add the unstable branch you'll have access to version
Octave 3.0.0.

If you run "fink configure" you'll be able to turn the unstable branch on (I
recommend you do this since nearly everything I find useful is there, and I
don't find any of it particularly "unstable").

Once you've enabled the unstable branch, do a "fink selfupdate; fink index;
fink scanpackages"

Then you can run "fink install octave" and in an hour or so you'll have Octave
3.0.0 running.

Ben
It might be a lot easier to install compressed disc images *.dmg for Mac.
Both ppc and intel versions are available
See
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2007-December/007251.html .
And then http://octave.sourceforge.net./ .
Henry

I agree, if Octave is all that is needed, it would be easier to use one of the
compressed disc images.

However, if other Fink packages are also needed, then messy conflict can arise
:-(

For that reason I use Fink (it also helps me with my local builds since it
handles all the dependencies).

Ben

Hhmmm... Ben, what exactly do you mean by "messy conflict can arise" - this sounds to me like you can't use Fink packages anymore if Octave.app is installed?

Fink doesn't know anything about Octave.app even if it is installed and therefore Fink can't use any of Octave.app's libraries. Octave.app doesn't use Fink's libraries but uses it's own (Octave.app brings all the necessary libraries needed to run on its own and doesn't install anything anywhere else on a user's harddisc). Fink shouldn't modify files that hard on a harddisc either, isn't it?

So where do that messy conflicts arise? My knowledge is that people using Fink-Octave and Octave.app both on one and the same machine can use both without conflicting or damaging each other (maybe they can't use Octave.app and Octave-Fink at the same time)...

This actually is a feature of a standalone application *.app from my point of view that doesn't work if somebody mixes distribution installations?!

  Thomas