Re: Why Octave.app is so small?

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Why Octave.app is so small?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:14:07 +0100

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On 28-Feb-2008, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| To the best of my knowledge I would say there is nothing missing in Octave.app | apart from all the static libraries as described in the README file that you | refer to.

But anyway, the sizes listed in the README file are just rough
estimates.  The size may be system dependent and vary significantly
with the options used to build and install Octave.  For example, is
the code in Octave.app compiled with debugging symbols?  If not,
then as the README file says (twice) significantly less space is
required without debugging symbols.

Also, isn't Octave.app compressed?  If so, then the size of the
download file is of course not likely to be the same as the size
required once it is unpacked.

Ah ok, Octave.app comes without debugging symbols. Octave.app (currently ~56MB) is not compressed, the virtual disc image that can be downloaded from the Sourceforge server is the one that is compressed (currently ~28MB) that includes Octave.app and all the dependencies, Gnuplot.app the *pdfs and so on...

  Thomas