Re: Trouble installing Java and Jhandles

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Java and Jhandles
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 22:47:03 +0100

On 2/28/08, Telescope_Nerd <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael
> Thanks vey much for your help so far, each small piece of advice you have
> given me seems to have had some effect. But I still don't have Jhandles
> working In linux. It seems to me that installing and configuring Java and
> Jogl to work with jhandles in linux is a highly non-trivial task and there
> are no usefull instructions out there for how to do this. So I have two
> questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone ever actually had jhandles running in linux and how much of a
> task was it to get there?

Yes, David Bateman has done it.

> 2. Can you or somebody please release a step by step for dummies like me on
> how to set up java and jogl to run jhandles?

I don't use Linux, so it's difficult for me to give a complete description.
However, I can try to give some hints:
- JHandles has only been tested with Sun JDK, so it's better to use it; from
David's experience, the recommended version is 1.6
- David didn't use the pre-compiled packages of JOGL, but recompiled it
from source (this requires a few additional packages, but avoids any
library incompatibility). The jar files have been installed somewhere in
PATH (for instance /usr/bin) and the libraries have been installed somewhere
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
- When compiling Java or JHandles packages, you should pre-define
JAVA_HOME to the actual location of Sun JVM library: if the client JVM
is installed in /my/java/dir/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so (replace i386 with
your actual architecture), then define JAVA_HOME to /my/java/dir
- When compiling Java or JHandles packages, be sure that "java" and
"javac" corresponds to Sun JDK; it happened to a few people that the
eclipse java compiler was used instead.

Hope this helps.

Michael.