Re: applying a patch

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: applying a patch
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:03:28 +0100

Am Montag, den 25.02.2008, 09:53 -0700 schrieb Dushan Mitrovich:
> "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > You should be able to make the function work in either version of
> > Octave if you apply the attached patch.
>
> I've seen this recommendation often here, but have no idea how to 'apply
> a patch'.  Would someone please point me to instructions for this in re-
> lation to Octave?  Thanks.

A "patch" is a file containing a difference between an old version of a
file and a new version of a file. This "patch" file is generated with
the command "diff". Version control systems can generate such files as
well.

To apply it, you need the "patch" command, which takes the "patch" file
and applies the changes described in it to the verious 'old' files you
have.

I don't know if OS/2 has a patch command.

        Thomas