Re: Question to Debian Etch users: Has someone managed to install the Oc

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Question to Debian Etch users: Has someone managed to install the Octave-forge package for Octave 2.9
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:15:12 +0100

Hi Stefan,

Am Montag, den 25.02.2008, 08:19 +0100 schrieb Stefan Pofahl:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday I tried to install the Octave-forge package
> from the Debian "etch" distribution, I failed, after
> the installation the plot function was corrupt:
> Error message:
> feval: the symbol 'drawnow' is not a valid function"

What packages are you using?

> So there are two ways:
> Someone knows the trick how to install:
> Octave-forge package 2.9(2006.07.09+dfsg1-8)

uh, "aptitude install octave2.9-forge"?

> or someone knows
> a Debian etch compatible octave3.0 package.

I'm not aware of any. A simple recompile of the 'sid' packages won't do,
library names have changed.

> But I failed to install the Octave3.0 from the "sid"
> distribution.

Eh, yes. That's expected and with the ongoing switch from g77 to
gfortran, you shouldn't mix these things at all. Non-obvious bugs will
appear (like complex dot products not working), when mixing g77 and
gfortran-compiled binaries.

        Thomas