Octave 3.0.0: configure doesn't find the Suitesparse Libraries

From: Jan Ruebel
Subject: Octave 3.0.0: configure doesn't find the Suitesparse Libraries
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:46:55 +0100

Hello!

I am trying to configure octave3.0.0 with the latest SuiteSparse package (v.
3.1, including UMFPACK, CHOLMOD etc). I'm using gcc 3.3.4 on a SuSE 9.2
system.

So far I've compiled SuitesSparse succesfully. I placed links to the resulting
*.a and *.h files in /usr/lib/ and usr/include/  (I also tried /usr/local/lib
and /usr/local/include) and ran ./configure in the octave3.0.0 directory.
However it seems that configure doesn't find the suitesparse libraries:

configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CCOLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CXSparse not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.

A subsequent "Make" works and octave compiles succesfully and works.
But I cannot use the UMFPACK routines I need.

Is there a default path where ./configure checks for these libraries and
headers?
How can I tell configure where to look?

Best regards
Jan