Newbie questions about Ocatave

From: octavenoob
Subject: Newbie questions about Ocatave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:15:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

How do I make a symbolic expression and take partial derivatives of that
function. For example, in Matlab I would do this:

syms  b c d e f % Alerts matlab that these variables have no set value to
them

a = b*2+ (d^e+f*e/f^2) %my expression

da=diff(a,'e') %takes the derivative of a with respect to e

b=1 %values for the variables
c=2
d=3
e=4
f=5

z=eval(da) % this will plug in the values above and evaluate the expression
da, which is the derivative of function a with respect to e.
--------

So far octave does not seem to be recognizing  'syms'. How do I make a
program like this Octave compatible?