Re: algebra in octave?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: algebra in octave?
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:00:48 -0600

On 17/02/2008, Huub <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm practising maths for univ. and wonder if I can octave for "simple"
> algebra like 3a³+b²?

Well, if by "algebra" you mean Serge Lang's book, then, no, Octave
isn't the best choice for that. ;-)

More seriously, I think you mean symbolic manipulations. You want to
type something like "expand( (a+b)^2);" and be told "a^2 + 2ab + b^2".
In that case, I recommend you look at Maxima[1] or go whole hog and
look at Sage[2], which is an interface to both Maxima and Octave and
does many other things of it is own.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

[1] http://maxima.sf.net