Re: Java and Jhandles Error - help

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Java and Jhandles Error - help
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:21:18 +0100

On 2/15/08, Telescope_Nerd <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi I have built octave 3.0 from source on ubuntu linux It works very well.
> But I have also tried to install the octave-forge packages, most of these
> work except jhandles, which I really want to get working.
> There are two (probably related) problems. First after installing the java
> pakage from forge when I exit octave I get the error:
>
> "error: feval: the symbol `java_exit' is not a valid function"

What does "which java_exit" gives you when typed at octave prompt?

> Second when trying to install jhandles I get the error:
>
> "Java support not compiled"

This is usually due to the installation dir of Java JVM. By default,
the configure script expects Java to be installed in /usr/lib/jvm
(the JRE is then in /usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib/<arch>). If this is not the
case for you, you can still define JAVA_HOME to the right
installation directory before executing the configure script. Then
the configure script will look for $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/<arch>.

Michael.