Re: Octave Forge functions in 3.0.0

From: P.J.G. Long
Subject: Re: Octave Forge functions in 3.0.0
Date: 09 Feb 2008 19:26:07 +0000

Thank you for all the help, on further investigation here are
my findings and any help would be welcome.

1) In moving up to 3.0.0 I don't seem to be able to get toggle_grace_use.

As mentioned before the grace support has been added using the
graceplot pkg from octaveforge

Once 'installed' I am still getting the error
error: `toggle_grace_use' undefined near line 8 column 1

NB Platform Knoppix/Debian

2) The other problem that I originally thought was related, see below,
involves calling Octave from a cgi-script. We have setup a library of
spreadsheet and octave/MATLAB engineering calculations. The Octave
code can be downloaded to be included in other code or run on-line. The
system takes input from a html form and calls octave as the back-end
engine. The text and graphics output are then parsed and displayed on
the web page.
 The system has been working for a couple of years using the 2.1.xx
versions of Octave (Debian and knoppix, locally on a machine or on a
remote machine - using trivial htttp or Apache as the server), a
typical call made by the cgi-script being as below:
(See simplified version of the red_thick_wall_pressure.m function below

__gnuplot_raw__ ("set term svg size 600 600 fixed enhanced;"); __gnuplot_raw__ ("set lmargin 12;"); __gnuplot_raw__ ("set output '/tmp/REDtools/1809391321000/graphicout.svg';"); multiplot (1,1); red_thick_wall_pvessel(10,0,0.1,0.15,210E9,0.3,1, 1809391321000); __gnuplot_raw__ ("unset multiplot;"); __gnuplot_raw__ ("set output;\n");

updating to 2.9.9 + gnuplot 4.3 caused a few
problems all of which seemed to be sortable except for some problems
with corrupted legends.

However, moving up to 3.0.0 has caused more problems especially with
the wrapping octave calls, put in by the cgi-script, the error message
being returned :

__gnuplot_raw__: this function is obsolete and will be removed from a future version of Octave error: `multiplot' undefined near line 1 column 176

Initially I was misled as I thought it was related to the Grace(plot)
issue above as the only multiplot.m file was in the grace
area. However I now realise that multiplot used to be in the main
Octave plot area and is now removed (post 2.9.9 ?). Removing the
multiplot calls obviously removes the error, and at least works on the
command line, e.g. __gnuplot_raw__ ("set term svg size 600 600 fixed enhanced;"); __gnuplot_raw__ ("set lmargin 12;"); __gnuplot_raw__ ("set output '/tmp/REDtools/1809391321000/graphicout.svg';"); red_thick_wall_pvessel(10,0,0.1,0.15,210E9,0.3,1, 1809391321000); __gnuplot_raw__ ("set output;\n");

The more problematic area is with the __gnuplot_raw_ calls, e.g. the

__gnuplot_raw__ ("set output '/tmp/REDtools/1809391321000/graphicout.svg';");

call, which results with an empty file being produced by the
script. Run from the command line the call seems to be ignored and the
plot appears in a standard xwindow. I have read somewhere that
__gnuplot_set__ commands have now been removed but I thought
__gnuplot_raw__ were to remain and should still work. However the
error message seem to indicate that things are still moving, is there
anyway to retain the ability to call gnuplot functions directly using
something like __gnuplot_raw__ so that I can still work wrapping a
standard octave call from a xxxxxx.m file

Regards

Peter

red_thick_wall_pvessel.m
function red_thick_wall_pvessel(Pi,Po,Di,Do,E,v,l)
Pi=10
Po=0
Di=0.1
Do=0.15
E=210E9
v=.3

ri=Di/2;
ro=Do/2;

%Lame's Constants

A=((Pi*ri*ri)-(Po*ro*ro))/((ro*ro)-(ri*ri));
B=((Pi-Po)*(ri*ri*ro*ro))/((ro*ro)-(ri*ri));

hoopri=A+(B/(ri*ri));
radri=A-(B/(ri*ri));

hoopro=A+(B/(ro*ro));
radro=A-(B/(ro*ro));