Re: New Install - nothing happens for plot command

From: eli brossell
Subject: Re: New Install - nothing happens for plot command
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:22:36 -0800 (PST)

I don't think I started an X server before running octave.  I don't know what an X server is.  I started a cygwin/shell and typed octave, then commenced with the example lines in my original post.

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

On 7-Feb-2008, eli brossell wrote:
| I installed octave 2.1.73 and gnuplot 4.2.2-1 today as part of a new i686-pc-cygwin installation. I've been trying to do some simple plots just to see how things work. Nothing is happening when I enter the plot command. The lines below are an example of what I'm entering after starting octave in cygwin.
|
| octave:1> a = [1 2 3];
| octave:2> b = [2 3 4];
| octave:3> plot(a,b)
| octave:4>
|
| I was expecting another window to open as a result of line 3. Is that wrong? I've reinstalled gnuplot and octave through the cygwin setup executable a couple of times with various mirrors and both http and ftp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you start an X server before running Octave?

However, as Michael said, the 2.1.73 binary in Cygwin is obsolete.

jwe