Re: request help with using octava

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: request help with using octava
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:54:38 -0600

On 07/02/2008, Jelle de Jong <address@hidden> wrote:
> The software that is used is called Derive:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derive_computer_algebra_system
>
> For a real FLOSS user this is not an option, so I went trying out all
> the mathematical tools for GNU/Linux. I think octave is the program that
>    should be able to do all the calculations and visualisations on the
> functions I use.

Octave is mostly for numerical analysis, not symbolic manipulations.
There have been some hacks in the past to get it to interface with
Maxima, which is a real CAS like Derive, but those attempts never seem
to get very far.

If you want a free CAS, try Maxima instead of Octave. It may also be
worthwhile to look at Sage (http://www.sagemath.org), which can
interface to both Maxima and Octave, and has a very rich functionality
of its own too.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.