request help with using octava

From: Jelle de Jong
Subject: request help with using octava
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:24:24 +0100

Hello everybody,

I have been using and developing linux for 3 years and am an experienced
user. I am following some basic mathematical classes on my university.
In this collage I have to use software to calculate and analyse
functions. The software that is used is called Derive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derive_computer_algebra_system

For a real FLOSS user this is not an option, so I went trying out all
the mathematical tools for GNU/Linux. I think octave is the program that
  should be able to do all the calculations and visualisations on the
functions I use. However after spending a day working and trying I cant
get my functions to plot and to calculate on them (differentiations /
Integration / Compare / Solve).

I created a document with some basic starting tasks that I want to do
with octave, would somebody be willing to help me out with the needed
steps to do the tasks in octave. I will create a nice document out it
and share it with others.

Kind regards,

Jelle