Re: gunzip incompatible

From: Mats Hedlund
Subject: Re: gunzip incompatible
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:24:48 -0700

Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Montag, den 28.01.2008, 15:03 -0700 schrieb Mats Hedlund:
>
>> Thomas Weber wrote:
>>
>>> extension (by the way, .odf can be extracted by unzip, not gunzip)?
>>>

>> Really? Not straight from octave anyway. Maybe you mean using shell
>> prompt: unix('unzip file.ods')?
>>

> Uh, I meant that from the shell. .odf files or more generally, all
> OO.org formats are zipped rather than gzipped. Your are right that
> currently Octave is limited to a specific set of extensions.
>

>> This works but it would be nice to be able to use unzip.m (or gunzip.m,
>> for matlab compatibility).
>>
> Well, actually I think that Matlab should at least issue a warning here,
> as it is clearly not using gunzip for extraction. However, it seems it
> does:

>>> gunzip('v.ods')
>>>
> ??? Error using ==> gunzip>gunzipwrite
> File "/tmp/z/v.ods" is not in GZIP format.
>
> Error in ==> gunzip>gunzipEntries at 99
>   names{end+1} = gunzipwrite(entries(i).file, outputDir, baseName,
> streamCopier);
>
> Error in ==> gunzip at 54
>    names = gunzipEntries(entries, outputDir);
>

>>> ver

> MATLAB Version 7.1.0.183 (R14) Service Pack 3
>
> Which version of Matlab are you using?
>
>       Thomas

I believe John brought this zipping discussion to maintainers list.
As far as matlab is concerned, I use it as little as possible :). I do
all serious number crunching in octave. But if it helps I'm on 7.5.
Mainly for plotting, but as plotting gets better in octave I'm looking
forward to a future in complete freedom and without any silly matlab
GUI's. The prompt rules and octave is an order of magnitude more stable.
/Mats