Re: gunzip incompatible

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: gunzip incompatible
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:59:01 -0600

Thomas Weber wrote:
On 28/01/08 13:45 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 28-Jan-2008, Mats Hedlund wrote:

| In matlab, this works for unzipping an ODF spreadsheet: gunzip('file.ods').
| In octave, it does not, replying with 'unknown file format'.
| Any thoughts on this and ways to fix it?

Octave's gunzip function is just a .m file.  It ultimately calls
another function called unpack to do the work.  I think the problem is
that gunzip is leaving it up to unpack to determine which
uncompression utility to use, when it should probably be forcing it to
use gzip.  It would be great if someone could have a look at this
problem and propose a patch.  Similar changes would likely be
appropriate for the bunzip2, untar, and unzip functions.

Well, how do you determine the compressing algorithm if not by the
extension (by the way, .odf can be extracted by unzip, not gunzip)?

"file" is highly system-dependant. I guess the only solution would be to
try all commands on an unknown file type and check their return value -
bah, that's ugly.

        Thomas
No I think you could change 'unpack.m' and allow a 4th argument that can be used
as a fallback.

Otherwise, we could somehow make unpack to figure out who called it, i.e tar, gzip, etc,
and do the appropriate fallback method.

-Muthu