Re: gunzip incompatible

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gunzip incompatible
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:37:34 -0500

On 28-Jan-2008, Thomas Weber wrote:

| On 28/01/08 13:45 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 28-Jan-2008, Mats Hedlund wrote:
| >
| > | In matlab, this works for unzipping an ODF spreadsheet:
gunzip('file.ods').
| > | In octave, it does not, replying with 'unknown file format'.
| > | Any thoughts on this and ways to fix it?
| >
| > Octave's gunzip function is just a .m file.  It ultimately calls
| > another function called unpack to do the work.  I think the problem is
| > that gunzip is leaving it up to unpack to determine which
| > uncompression utility to use, when it should probably be forcing it to
| > use gzip.  It would be great if someone could have a look at this
| > problem and propose a patch.  Similar changes would likely be
| > appropriate for the bunzip2, untar, and unzip functions.
|
| Well, how do you determine the compressing algorithm if not by the
| extension (by the way, .odf can be extracted by unzip, not gunzip)?

It's OK for the unpack function to look at the extension to decide
what to do, but but the specific functions like gunzip should just
use the specific extraction program ("gzip -d" for gunzip; unzip for
unzip, etc.) and not care about the extension.  I think this would be
a fairly straightforward change to make.

jwe