Re: Octave parallel computing toolbox

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave parallel computing toolbox
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:49:59 -0500

On 25-Jan-2008, Ganesh Bikshandi wrote:

| The current library (which is under active development) is released
| under Eclipse public license.

Unfortunately, the Eclipse Public License is incompatible with the
GPL (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html), so if your
code links with Octave, it can't be distributed as the GPL requires
that the combined work be distributable under terms compatible with
the GPL.  Any chance of changing to a GPL-compatible license, or dual
licensing?

| We want this stuff to run in IBM hardware (like Bluegene) and we don't
| want to be bogged down by any source code or licensing issues. Plus we
| want to run in SPMD mode (atleast in the initial phases of
| development). That means we want N Octave instances running, where N
| is the number of compute nodes. Using Octave we overcome all the
| licensing, source code and portability limitations. (IMHO).

Yes you would not have the per-instance licensing problems of some
proprietary software, but you still must meet the conditions of
Octave's GPL license.

jwe