Re: Segmentation Fault from dir of a DVD drive.

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault from dir of a DVD drive.
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:53:10 +0100

On Jan 21, 2008 10:50 PM, Adam Robertson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I figured out what caused the panic and Segmentation violation and thought
> the community might want to here the solution.
>
> Here is how I narrowed the problem down. I had two identifical files, each
> in different directories on a hard drive. In one of the directories a 'dir'
> resulted in a panic, in the other director it didn't. One file I had
> downloaded from a remote server, the other was copied from a DVD. A diff on
> the files gave me no clues and absolute zero differences in the file. I then
> noticed the file that caused a panic had a date of  June 1905. (Created on a
> linux system without a battery to maintain the clock gives us a default date
> that pre-dates modern computers).

Thanks, I could track down the problem. You can reproduce it easily by
typing "localtime(-1)" (under WinXP). The problem is that the C localtime
function can return NULL under Windows. The attached patch solves
the problem.

liboctave/ChangeLog:

2008-01-22  Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>

    * oct-time.cc (octave_base_tim::init): Validate pointer argument;
    this fixes the "localtime(-1)" crash under Windows.