Re: Who and where is using octave?

From: etienne
Subject: Re: Who and where is using octave?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:08:24 -0800 (PST)

  Hi Steve,

I put your list and a little more on the wiki, at
http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?WhoUsesOctave. Edit at will, I'll send you a
password if you don't
have one already.

  Cheers,

  Etienne

On Mon, January 21, 2008 11:18, Steve Thompson wrote:
# Here is a compiled list started March 2006.  Someone still needs to
# collect all this stuff, format it to HTML, and try to get it on the
# Octave website...
#
#
#
# I use it at the University of Pennsylvania for some of my
# research.
#
# Bill Denney
#
# --------------
#
# I use Octave, (together with MPITB
# [http://atc.ugr.es/javier-bin/mpitb] on a 128 Intel Itanium II
# nodes cluster) at the Centre for Advanced Computational
# Technologies/ISUFI of University of Lecce (Italy) for my
# researches.  I usefully use Octave on the above mentioned cluster
# (for parallel data processing) where Matlab does not work because
# it's not officially supported on IA64 platforms.
#
# Gianvito Quarta
#
# --------------
#
# We use it here in Chile, at the Faculty of Sciences, University
# of Chile, for research (myself) and we also teach numerical
# methods using Octave and C++ to our Physics students.
#
# Victor Munoz
#
# --------------
#
# I also did my entire thesis using octave, but I was one of the
# few people (despite my best efforts) in my department who even
# knew about octave. In my field (electrical engineering), most
# students are introduced to Matlab in an undergraduate course on
# signal processing. If professors were informed about octave, they
# could promote octave as an alternative--particularly to students
# who want to do work on their own computers without buying the
# crippled "student edition" of Matlab.
#
# Quentin Spencer
#
# --------------
#
# I feel like I am living proof of what Quentin has said.  I am
# working on my MSEE right now and was introduced to Matlab in a
# third-year signal processing course.  I thought it would be nice
# to work on my home computer if possible and ended up buying the
# student version later, only to find that features such as the
# Signal Processing Toolbox were available at additional cost.  I
# discovered Octave on my own when I started using Linux and with
# some struggles (I liked to print plots by clicking on the printer
# button in Matlab) feel just as comfortable with it as I do
# Matlab.  But never have I heard any of my professors mention
# Octave as a viable alternative to Matlab.  I don't think a lot of
# them know it is out there.
#
# Ronald Crummett
#
# --------------
#
# Octave is installed in the server "pandora" at Universitat Pompeu
# Fabra in Barcelona, Spain.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if some
# else apart of me is aware of this. Sad thou.
#
# Diego Ruiz
#
# --------------
#
# At Tallinn University of Technology, Tallinn, Estonia, Octave is
# a integrated part of a civil engineering mechanics course by Dr.
# Andres Lahe (see http://staff.ttu.ee/~alahe/
# <http://staff.ttu.ee/%7Ealahe/>,
#
http://staff.ttu.ee/~alahe/konspekt/myCD/sisukord.html<http://staff.ttu.ee/%7Eal
# +ahe/konspekt/myCD/sisukord.html>, it's written  in Estonian, but
# the code isn't). He uses Octave for solid mechanics calculations,
# introduction to the finite element method and such.  I personally
# and professionally have used Octave for the last 3 years.
#
# Radu Prekup
#
# --------------
#
# I teach Matlab in the School of Aeronautics in the Universidad
# Politecnica de Madrid in Spain.  All the examples designed to be
# identical in both languages and to run identically in both
# interpreters.  I encourage everyone to use Octave instead of
# Matlab in small scripts when no exotic toolbox is needed.  The
# mean programming knowledge in the school is near to zero, this
# means that my course is more an introduction to scientific
# programming than an introduction to Matlab and Octave.
#
# I also wrote some extensive lecture notes about Matlab and Octave
# in spanish to promote the use of Octave.  I talked about them
# about one month ago in this list. The conclusion of the notes is:
# Matlab has more functions but Octave is a more interesting,
# enjoyable and powerful tool.
#
# When I ask some feedback about Octave the complaints are always
# the same (the well known weaknesses of Octave)
#   -  No GUI (They are *not* used to the command line so they try
#      to avoid it as much as possible)
#   -  Saving plots is difficult (idem)
#   -  Only a few use linux and Octave lacks some more system
#      integration with Windows
#   -  etc...
#
# I tried to distribute some live-cds with octave among the course
# attendants (quantian) but the effort was unsuccessful.  Well,
# it's linux...
#
# In the CFD lab. in the same university we use Matlab on Linux for
# data analysis (large turbulent channels), no VTK, no OpenDX; just
# Matlab.  The general thought is that Matlab is a better tool than
# Octave, we can use Matlab... Why should we use Octave? And of
# course, Matlab draws the 3D isosurfaces easily...
#
# Guillem Borrell Nogueras
#
# --------------
#
# I am currently transitioning from another product to Octave.
# Location: vet school Hannover, Germany
#
# Michael Grossbach
#
# --------------
#
# I used octave and maxima for my numerical and symbolic work at
# the University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering Dept.  I
# advertise via word of mouth to my fellow graduate students and to
# any Professor who will listen, however I receive a lot of
# resistance.
#
# Pete Gustafson
#
# --------------
#
# I have used Octave since I discovered it, many years ago, after
# having appreciated the clean Matlab language.  I have some of my
# students and colleagues use it.  This is not a university, rather
# a research institute.
#
# Francesco Potortì
# CNR, Pisa
#
# --------------
#
# I teach at Fanshawe College London Ontario.  We have about 30
# students a year who use Octave. Mainly filter design, PID,
# Laplace and z space.
#
# Doug Stewart
#
# --------------
#
# Octave (w/ octave-forge) is used in an introductory course on
# programming, and in a couple of numerical analysis courses in the
# School of Engineering of Universidad Nacional de Córdoba,
# Argentina (http://www.efn.uncor.edu).
#
# Agustin Barto
#
# --------------
#
# Aside from using Octave for 90%+ of my own thesis work at the
# University of Colorado in Boulder, I have contributed to a
# project called CISM-DX.  This is a collection of analysis and
# visualization tools based heavily on Octave and OpenDX that is
# being developed as part of the NSF-funded Center for Integraged
# Space-weather Modeling (CISM).  I don't think it (CISM-DX) has
# been used extensively in a traditional class setting, but it has
# been used in CISM's annual "summer school", a crash course intro
# to applied space physics held each year at Boston University.  I
# wouldn't be surprised if others more familiar with CISM-DX are
# lurking about this list that could tell you more if they just
# spoke up.
#
# Joshua Rigler
#
# --------------
#
# We have just swapped our main Undergraduate teaching from Matlab
# to Octave with little problem. We also distribute a Live CD with
# Octave on, + an embryonic web based calculation package using
# Octave as the backend processor, See www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk, for
# further details and a slightly buggy on-line version.
#
# Peter Long
#
# --------------
#
# I'm at the University of Washington in Seattle and am just
# learning about Octave. I hope to use it for some of my thesis
# work. I know that the physics department here uses Mathematica
# and Matlab and C++ for their numerical methods classes, but they
# might be open to Octave. At this point though they are not too
# familiar with it. I don't know if any of the other departments at
# this school use it.
#
# Theresa Bullard
#
# --------------
#
# I adopted Matlab in 96, coming from C/C++ and Splus. In 97, I
# briefly tested Octave, on my Debian laptop, but kept using Matlab
# at work. In 98, during my PhD, our Matlab license expired and the
# person maintaining it was unjoinable on long vacations. In order
# to keep working and to be sure this inconvenience wouldn't repeat
# itself, I decided to port all my work to a freely available
# language.
#
# My choice boiled down to Octave and Scilab. A few language
# advantages (iirc, the 'keyboard' function, variable length arg
# and return lists), the GPL, and the feeling that Octave
# development was more active and would better stand the test of
# time made me choose Octave. I have used it for most of my work
# since then.
#
# Afaik, few of my present or past colleagues use Octave - except
# perhaps Mai Zhou [1] at the math dept. of the U. of Kentucky, who
# maintains a web interface [2]. I will ask for his comments.
#
# Etienne Grossmann
#
# --------------
#
# I have been working on web interfaces lately.  I am in the
# process of integrating the UKY code with something to
# interactively view space plasma time series.  Here is an
# excellent interactive SVG plotter that I am modifying to receive
# the plot commands: http://www.codedread.com/displayWebStats.php.
#
# I don't have anything general or ready for demo right now, but I
# just wanted to let you know of someone who is interested in web
# interfaces.
#
# Robert S. Weigel
#
# --------------
#
# I am using octave at Nicolaus Copernicus University, Torun,
# Poland I am writing software for my B.A. in astronomy, using
# octave/C++/Fortran.  There is another person, using octave for
# Celestial Mechanics.
#
# Marek Szczypinski
#
# --------------
#
# I found out about J-Sim (Simulink for Octave) some months ago but
# haven't had a chance to evaluate it; check it out...
#
# http://www.webeng.org/jsim.htmCheersPaul.
#
# Paul Koufalas
#
# --------------
#
# I think FlowDesigner is a great tool,
# http://freshmeat.net/projects/flowdesigner/ But extending it to
# use GNU Octave engine, and associated functions is non-trivial,
# but nevertheless doable.  Of course its free [as in freedom] and
# licensed as Octave itself.  So unlike the J-sim we dont need to
# ask anyof the folks for 'permission'.  Also Flow designer is
# pretty good, from the demos Ive seen,
# http://robotflow.sourceforge.net/demo.html and has some external
# toolkits like the Robotflow.
#
# Muthiah Annamalai
#
# --------------
#
# I use GNU Octave for many reasons.  First, it is powerful, stable
# and easy to use.  My research involves extensive Monte Carlo
# simulation work, and GNU Octave definitely satisfies my needs.
# Second, GNU Octave is free software.  It adheres to the basic
# principle of giving the user the ``freedom to run, copy,
# distribute, study, change and improve the software,'' as defined
# by the Free Software Foundation.  Third, GNU Octave's community
# of developers and users is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
# A quick post to the help list usually results in a quick solution
# to a problem I may have.
#
# Power, stability, freedom, and community---some of the reasons
# why I use GNU Octave.
#
# Steve Thompson
#
# --------------
#
# I use Octave (as well as Matlab) for my day-to-day work here at
# Glasgow University, doing automotive control system design. It is
# also a core element of the bond graph toolset "Model
# Transformation Tools" (MTT, http://mtt.sourceforge.net). MTT, and
# hence Octave, have also been used to good effect for modelling in
# the aerospace industry in the UK and US.
#
# Geraint Paul Bevan
#
# --------------
#
# Octave is used in the Fisheries Department of the Falkland
# Islands to process raw fisheries data and for fish stock
# assessment modelling.
#
# Ruben Roa
#
# --------------
#
# Here in BioControl Medical we use octave for all of our analysis
# needs -- no matlab in sight!
#
# We use octave for:
# ECG processing
# Statistics
# Neural simulations
# Electrostatic solver
#
# Shai Ayal
#
# --------------
#
# At MIST Technologies, a French start-up developping sound
# processing technologies, Octave is the main tool of the research
# team. It is used to develop algorithms which are converted in
# C/C++ versions by the development team once they are ok. Those
# C/C++ versions are automatically wrapped using a slightly adapted
# version of matwrap. Doing so, we can use the same algorithms in
# our C/C++ only applications and in octave functions used by our
# reseach team and so have to maintain onlye one version.
#
# The reason we prefered Octave to other tools is that it allowed
# import of legacy matlab code when we started the company three
# year ago.
#
# Octave is a great tool and we have only one (slight) problem with
# it : the fact that liboctave is licensed under the GPL rather
# than the LGPL : that forced us to redevelop some
# Matrix/Vector/... classes and to reimplement a couple of
# functions.
#
# Ludovic Pénet
#
# --------------
#
# In the context of civil engineering i use octave for signal
# processing of measurement data, further as an essential tool for
# a wide range of numerical investigations and typical engineering
# tasks, as model fitting, approximation, matrices etc... always
# trying to avoid the use of M$ excel  ;)
#
# Andreas Naessl
#
#
# I use Octave "elsewhere", namely at home on my laptop, for
# self-study of computational methods in finance.
#
# Paul Koufalas
#
#