Re: Build MSVC oct-files linked to pthread and fftw

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Build MSVC oct-files linked to pthread and fftw
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:04:44 +0100

On 1/20/08, Fredrik Lingvall <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying the build some oct-files for the MSVC version of octave.
> I need to link them to pthread and fftw. Windows versions of these
> libs can be found at
>
>    http://www.fftw.org/install/windows.html
>
> and
>
>    ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/dll-latest/
>
> respectively. How do I install these libs (if they are not already
> included in octave) so that I can build the
> oct-files with: mkoctfile -lpthread -lfftw ...

Install .lib files into <octave>\lib and headers into
<octave>\include. Binaries (.dll and .exe) should be
installed into <octave>\bin.

FFTW import library (fftw3.lib) is included with the binary
package; linking with -lfftw3 should be enough. If you also
need the header, just grab it from the FFTW windows
binary package (it's not included in octave distribution).

pthread is not part of octave package. You should be able
to link against it by installing the various files as mentioned
above. Note however that this binary package is probably
not compiled with MSVC8, so you might suffer some
problems at run-time. If this happens, you might try to
recompile pthreads with MSVC8, although I don't know if
it is supported by pthreads sources.

Michael.