Re: Help a beginner please

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Help a beginner please
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:45:09 -0600

On 20/01/2008, Octave Ryan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just installed Debian and Octave.

Cool! Which version of Octave and Debian?

> Now want to install the package 'comminications-1.0.4.tar.gz'
[snip]
> At the octave:1> prompt I gave the command 'pkg install
> home/Downloads/communications-1.0.4.tar.gz'
>
> (as the file 'communications-1.0.4.tar.gz' is in the folder called
> 'Downloads' on my desktop)

Hm, then it looks like you typed the wrong pathname. Under a standard
Debian install, if you run Octave from your home directory, you should
type 'pkg install Desktop/Downloads/communications-1.0.4.tar.gz'
(without quotes, of course).

Oh, and btw, they're not called 'folders' in Debian GNU/Linux. They're
directories.  I personally never liked the folder metaphor too much,
since real office folders don't contain tree hierarchies of
subfolders. ;-)

> Now I get the message:
>
>      tar: option requires an argument – f

That's unusual. What version of Octave is this?

- Jordi G. H.