Re: Who and where is using octave?

From: Peter A. Gustafson
Subject: Re: Who and where is using octave?
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:39:35 -0500

On Saturday 19 January 2008 12:23:48 pm Christophe Prud'homme wrote:
> I teach a  course of numerical methods with octave given at
>  o Université Joseph Fourier Grenoble 1  (UJF)
>  o Polytech  Grenoble
>
> Some colleagues give a similar course at
>  o École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
>
> we also use octave daily as a replacement for matlab (we don't use any
> matlab toolboxes)

I use it daily for my data analysis in my research (composite structures).  I
also encourage its use in a course on measurement and instrumentation at the
University of Michigan.

Matlab is primary, since the bulk of the students choose windows and the
computer labs only have octave (2.9.13) on the linux side of a dual boot
setup.  However I have sold a few on installing octave on their own machines.

This seems to come up fairly regularly... I think we should wikify this topic.
Then we could just reference others to a specific website.

Pete Gustafson