Re: quick recipe for installing latest Octave-forge for Debian users

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: quick recipe for installing latest Octave-forge for Debian users
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:03:45 +0100

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>| Ack, this is embarrassing to me as someone who wants to contribute to
>| the Debian packaging of Octave. The fact that you had to post such an
>| ugly solution means that we as Debian packagers have failed you. :-(

Debian support for Octave have always been excellent, and right now you
can install octave2.1 with octave-forge, which works perfectly and is
well tested.

I am sorry that I have not the time to contribute to packaging of
octave-forge for the latest octave versions.

John W. Eaton:
>Also, a general comment about "installing all of Octave Forge".  I
>don't think that should ever be the default.  I know, people want to
>just install a single package (give me everything; I don't want to
>have to think about it).  But that can cause some real confusion.
>Certainly we should not be packaging the NaN package as part of the
>default installation as it unconditionally replaces some basic
>functions in Octave.

I see that the NaN package is under "extra" in octave-forge, while my
proposed (ugly) workaround was for "main", so at least it should not
surprise users.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040