Re: Octave under Windows in a teaching environment.

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave under Windows in a teaching environment.
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:27:24 -0600

On 08/01/2008, Yann Le Du <address@hidden> wrote:
> Basically, the application doesn't have a "polished" look. Now, for me,
> that's perfectly ok, since I work on Linux, and most of these problems
> don't exist there, but for teaching purposes on Windows, it's harder to
> ignore it, since the students stumble on these difficulties.

Why don't you install Debian or similar on their laptops and give them
livecds if the GNU/Linux versions of Octave don't give you those
problems?

At least that's what I did, and it seemed to work. Most didn't seem to
mind to have a few gigs of their laptops dedicated to a free OS, and
they got to code numerical analysis. Several of them brought their
laptops for me to install Debian on them with Octave and other free
numerical software.

This may not be a viable solution for you, but I personally feel that
at the education level, Octave and GNU go together hand-in-hand.

- Jordi G. H.