Re: Octave 2.9/3.0: WinXP: jHandles: run out of default heap size

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9/3.0: WinXP: jHandles: run out of default heap size
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:23:57 +0100

> Dear Octavians,
>  I am in the process of evaluating Octave as a replacement/license gap
> filler for Matlab.  Generally I am have had good results except for the
> typical "isms" between the two apps.  Normally I use Matlab under Linux
> with large (250MB > 2GB) netcdf files and produce plots fine there.
> Using the Win32 (MSVC) version of 2.9/3.0 has been good.  However, I
> cannot make a pcolor plot with jHandles of matrixes greater the 700x700,
> I commonly do this in Matlab.  The issue is that jHandles/java runs out
> of heap space.  I've tried to adjust the system wide java heap size via
> the java control panel, but Octave seems to always use the default
> values.  Either Octave sets the -Xms### and -Xmx### itself or it is not
> sourcing the system wide defaults.  Any advice on this would be much
> appreciated.

You can tune Java options by putting a file java.opts in the java package
installation path (<octave>\share\octave\packages\java-1.2.2). This file
works the same as for Matlab, each option is on a separate line. To see
the startup options, you can set java debug to true with "java_debug(1)",
however this should be done *before* starting the Java engine. If you use
JHandles as default backend, it will be loaded (hence, the Java engine)
at octave startup: in that case, set java debugging in the global
octaverc (<octave>\share\octave\3.0.0\m\startup\octaverc), before loading
the default graphics backend (see code at the end of the file).

Michael.