Re: Comments in emacs

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Comments in emacs
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:43:54 -0600

On 28/12/2007, Olivier Lefevre <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the brain-damaged language(s) the other gentleman was referring to,

In general, Octave syntax corrects in my view a lot of weirdness of
Matlab syntax. E.g. explicit "endfor", "endif", "endwhile" keywords
instead of overloading "end" for all of those (and also for the end of
a matrix), comment characters that are more commonly used in all other
(Unix-like) scripting languages, +=, -=, /= operators, allowing you to
treat : as another operator, so that (a + b)(:) is grammatical in
Octave but not in Matlab (unless Matlab recently  changed this).

Oh, and making executable Octave scripts with a shebang
(#!/usr/bin/octave). I don't think Matlab can do this either, and we
in the Unix-like world tend to like scripts, useful little critters
that they are. To top it all off, Matlab syntax is still largely a
subset of Octave syntax for backwards compatibility.

It's the little icing on the cake that makes me glad Octave isn't a
bug-for-bug copy of Matlab. :-)

- Jordi G. H.