Re: path: octave 3.0.0 can't find itself

From: Dushan Mitrovich
Subject: Re: path: octave 3.0.0 can't find itself
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:40:47 -0700

Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
>> I've been using Octave 2.9.15 on a Mac (Intel) under X.4.11.  When
>> Octave 3.0.0 became available a few days ago I decided to update my
>> installation to it.
>>
>> Not wanting to dump the older app, residing in /Applications, until I had
>> a chance to test the new one, I renamed the old one Octave-2.9.15.app,
>> then dragged the new Octave.app from the .dmg file to the / Applications
>> folder.  I expected to have to tell the new one the path to search for my
>> personal script files and functions.
>>
>> Instead, when I open the new Octave.app it announces
>>
>>  warning: addpath: /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/...
>>                     octave/2.9.15/m/<filename>
>>
>> where as in Octave '...' denotes continuation, and '<filename>' refers
>> to different files.  To the command 'path' the respond is
>>
>>  /Users/dushanm/Octave
>>  /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/site/m/
>>  /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/site/m/startup
>>
>> So from somewhere it got correct information about the path to my
>> personal files (the first reference), but wrong information about other
>> paths.
>>
>> I looked everywhere on my system for some file that refers to '2.9.15'
>> and found exactly 5 files, 4 of them in ~/Trash, with that reference.
>> In each case it was in a comment line.  Where in the world is Octave
>> getting all this information, much of it wrong?  First I'd like to
>> understand this, and second I want to correct it.
>
> Do you see the file ".octaverc" in your home folder when you type "ls -
> ah" in a terminal window?

BINGO!  Thanks, Ben, that was it.  Spotlight had screwed me up again by
not showing what it considered hidden files.

> If so, that is likely where the problem lies.  You can verify by
> "cat .octaverc" to see the contents of the path defined in that file.

Once I found the file, I edited it (even tho it said 'do not edit') by
changing '2.9.15' to '3.0.0' and then Octave came up without complaint.

> I've not tried to set up different versions of Octave on my Mac, so
> I'm not much help there.

As soon as I'm comfortable with 3.0.0 I'll get rid of the older version.

- Dushan