Re: plot text title don't print in MS2.9.19

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: plot text title don't print in MS2.9.19
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:11:26 +0100

On 12/20/07, Benedict G Archer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Installed the ms compiled binaries on XP with SP2.  Using gnuplot and
> the optional Console.  Titles and text in plots now produce the error
> shown.  Titles and text appear on displayed plots, but are missing
> from printed plots.  Also, the error message (on line 3 below) is
> inserted into the prompt.  I suspect I have to install something more?
>
> oct:1> sombrero
> oct:2> title("Sombrero")
> oc
> (pgnuplot.exe:2080): Pango-WARNING **: couldn't load font "helvetica
> Not-Rotated 200", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated
>  200", expect ugly output.
> t:3> print("-dpng","sombrero.png")
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string
> Sombrero with font helvetica
> oct:4>
>
> Thanks for any advice, Ben A.

This is known problem, see
http://www.nabble.com/Font-problem-with-png-terminal-2.9.17-2B-to14150213.html

Basically, the workaround is to use

set(0, 'defaulttextfontname', '*')

somewhere in your startup file (you can check where is your startup
file by typing this at octave prompt: "tilde_expand('~\.octaverc')").

Michael.