Re: Reading NI TDMS files

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Reading NI TDMS files
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:44:09 +0100

>I had a look, but it's still not clear to me. To put it clear, would
>someone be allowed to develop and distribute in source form an octave
>interface to the NI TDMS DLL's, which are proprietary software?

You can sidestep the GPL this way if the DLL interface is very clear and
does not need knowing its internal data structure or other internal
features, and if you distribute it under the GPL.  You cannot distribute
it together with the DLL.  I am not sure whether you can distribute it
together with Octave.  Since this practice is a way of sidestepping the
GPL, it is not seen with any simpathy by those who chose the GPL to
distribute their program, so please do not do it.

This is my *personal* advice.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040