Re: can't calculate determinants

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: can't calculate determinants
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:36:32 -0600

On Dec 12, 2007 1:58 PM, daniel chagas <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:42 -0600, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 2007 8:30 AM, daniel chagas <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Hello,I've built octave 2.9.18 and octave 2.9.19
> > > with atlas libraries and get the same on both:
> > > a=rand(2,2)
> > > det(a)
> > > It gets stucked when trying the last step
> > > it does'nt produce any output- no error message,etc.
> > > it just remains "waiting".
> > > Any idea what can be going on?
> >
> > Most likely you have broken ATLAS libraries....
> >
> > > daniel
> > >

> > Dmitri.
> > Thank you for answer dmitri, I will try to build octave
> with the atlas libraries that come with my linux distribution
> but in the past my own atlas did give no trouble  with
> octave nor with scilab which is still working properly.
> pd : I'm building on ubuntu 6.06.
> many thanks
> daniel

Please keep CC to the list.
There are known cases when a recent gcc miscompiles LAPACK/BLAS code.

If you linked the atlas libraries dynamically, you can overwrite the default
libraries using LD_PRELOAD trick:

LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/good/libraries/libname.so octave

E.g. using Intel MKL library:

LD_PRELOAD=/opt/intel/mkl/9.0/lib/em64t/libmkl.so octave

Regards,

Dmitri.