New Users - Integrate Data

From: Ciaran Mooney
Subject: New Users - Integrate Data
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:17:15 +0000

Hi,

I am a undergrad chemist and I have a bit of a problem.

I have some data which I have had to plot, and ended up with quite a
complex curve. I need to work out the area beneath the curve to obtain
a useful quantity. Unfortunatly the University only provides us with
Sigmaplot, and I run Linux......

And I've just found out from using Sigmaplot at the Universtiy that it
cannot integrate a curve to find the area beneath.

I have never used Octave before but it seems to be exactly the program
I need to get my work done.

Is there a way of giving Octave a list of values (x, y) and then
getting it to integrate those values? I have over 600 values so an
even better way would be for octave to import a list of values from a
file, and then perform the calculation.

I have looked in the documentation and can't seem to find anything
that helps, my maths is a bit rusty from A-level, most of it shoots
over my head.

Any chance that this is even possible?

Regards,

CiarĂ¡n