Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:09:58 -0500

On Nov 23, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Ben Abbott schrieb:
On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:
Ben Abbott schrieb:
Thomas,
There's a thread on sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/ tracker/index.php? func=detail&aid=1825780&group_id=17203&atid=414256 <http:// sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php? func=detail&aid=1825780&group_id=17203&atid=414256> I've never encountered a seg-fault using a ppc. Further, I only encounter a seg-fault when I install SuiteSparse *without* libcsparse.a, build Octave-2.9.17, and try to install Octave-Forge-20071014. When I include libcsparse.a in the SuiteSparse install, or remove SuiteSparse entirely, I have no problem ... I've duplicated that effort twice.

Sounds to me being an optimization problem or something like that when building SuiteSparse?! I'm compiling SuiteSparse 3.0.0 since I compile Octave 2.9.12 and use libcsparse.a before I compile Octave. I also apply the patch SuiteSparse-3.0.0.diff before building SuiteSparse without metis (don't know if you have a current SVN of Octave-forge checked out, here is the link)

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave- forge/admin/MacOSX/solvedeps

Modify Line 77 (+F77 = f2c) of that *.diff file into your needs for gfortran and then build another SuiteSparse,

  bash~:$ export CC=gcc
bash~:$ export CFLAGS="-fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fexceptions -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE -D__NOEXTENSIONS__ -DNPARTITION"
  bash~:$ make

try to use that created libcsparse.a instead... I don't know which option actually fails for you but you can add one flag by another in F77FLAGS of ./SuiteSparse/UFconfig/UFconfig.mk or in CFLAGS above (eg. -O3 -mieee-fp ...) - doesn't Fink already have a SuiteSparse package ready?
Thomas,
The sourceforge link you brought to my attention looks like it will be useful in resolving the problem with Octave and Octave- Forge using Fink. Unfortunately, I've not been able to get the diff's to apply using 'patch'. Can you tell me what specific syntax is needed? ... hmmm, perhaps I should tell you what I did, and you can tell me what I did wrong ;-) After placing the SuiteSparse folder and SuiteSparse-3.0.0.diff in the same location, I tried ...
patch <./SuiteSparse-3.0.0.diff

Hi Ben,

sorry for being late, yes you need to

  patch -p0 < SuiteSparse-3.0.0.diff

That should work.

  Thomas

Thanks.

Another question. Are you using Xcode to build Octave and its dependencies?

If so, and you have any desire to move on to gfortran (from f2c), MacResearch has instructions on doing so.

        http://macresearch.org/xcode_gfortran_contest_winner_damien_bobillot

I haven't tried it out yet. Mainly because I have no experience with Xcode and doubt I'd be successful in creating an Xcode project for Octave. However, I am interested in such, since (I suspect) it would be useful in isolating the cause of the segmentation fault problem.

Ben