Re: how to apply gnuplot_fixed to octave 2.9.16 MSVC

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: how to apply gnuplot_fixed to octave 2.9.16 MSVC
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:11:10 +0100

On 11/18/07, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Michael
>
> I again thought about this issue. This is not an easy problem to treat.  If
> you will bundle
> (w)pgnuplot in gnuplot_fixed.zip in the next release of MSVC-Octave, there
> are certian amount of
> people who will not able to gnuplot as graphic backend.  So this problem will
> be hopefully fixed.

Indeed, I plan to ship the "fixed" gnuplot with the next binary release of
octave. I'm not going to support 2 versions of gnuplot, mainly because
(besides additional work) the previous version just does not work with
any plot requiring a colormap.
Honestly, I doubt the problem you have is linked to the changes I made
to gnuplot, which resumes to using

    fread(&c, 1, 1, stdin);

instead of

    ReadFile(_get_osfhandle(fileno(stdin)), &c, 1, &cRead, NULL);

I don't see how such change would make an executable not-runnable with
the error message you get (both versions of gnuplot have been compiled
on the same system, with the same compiler and the same flags...).

I might be wrong, but I still think the problem is related to security: an
.exe file installed regularly with an installer can be executed without
any problem, while an .exe compiled on another computer that is
simply uncompressed from a zip file cannot be run for security
reasons (at least without any specific action from the user). This is
how I interpret the warning dialog I see on my system when I try
to run the decompressed pgnuplot.exe, while on your system it
might turn directly into an error, because you have higher security
settings than me.

In summary, I think this problem will disappear when gnuplot will
be bundled with the binary package and installed normally with
the installer.

Michael.