Re: Is this copyright/license agreement Octave-compatible

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: Is this copyright/license agreement Octave-compatible
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:59:16 -0600

Josh Rigler wrote:
Long ago (c.2001), I asked a question on this list about an overly simple copyright/license statement that came with NASA's CDF libraries at the time:

http://www.nabble.com/Is-this-an-Octave-compatible-license--tf3314371.html#a9216467

In short, JWE felt that it was inadequate because it tried to restrict 'for profit' redistribution, and more importantly, it tried to restrict modifications to the software. I had little choice but to keep my CDF toolbox to myself, and sadly, it was never fully implemented, since I never needed more than the ability to read data from existing files.
If you did not know earlier octave-forge (http://octave.sf.net) widely
accepts packages, and serves as a repository for octave code. You
can contribute your package there.

IMHO, a format to save / load octave objects need not be tightly
integrated with the main Octave package itself.

Best,
Muthu