Problem with pkg on Intel Mac?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Problem with pkg on Intel Mac?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:47:53 -0500

I've been spending my free time working on info files for the Fink package manager. I'm hoping to use FInk to maintain both octave and the octave-forge toolboxes. On the ppc based mac's both octave and the toolboxes install and function correctly.

However, I've encountered a problem on my intel based mac. Octave installs fine, but octave-forge does not.

I've done what I can to isolate the errors. When I try to use pkg to install the toolboxes from octave-forge I encounter segmentation faults and/or an error from pkg.m

For example, the 1st time I try to install 'audio-1.0.2.tar.gz', a segmentation fault results

        sudo octave
        octave:1> pkg global_list
        /sw/share/octave/octave_packages
        octave:2> pkg('install','-nodeps','audio-1.0.2.tar.gz')
        panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...

When I make a second attempt, I get ...

        sudo octave
        octave:1> pkg('install','-nodeps','audio-1.0.2.tar.gz')
        error: couldn't create packinfo directory: File exists
error: called from `pkg:copy_files' in file /sw/share/octave/2.9.17/ m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1312, column 5

The error implies that the packinfo file for the audio toolbox already exists ... However the directory "ls /sw/share/octave/ packages" is empty.

Anyone seen this? ... am I doing something wrong?