Re: eigs and Octave.app

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: eigs and Octave.app
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:52:05 +0100

<SNIP>
> Presumably, this will work once I get tar going again.
> Is it possible to install from the folder produced by
> stuffit?

Yes, you really need a 'tar' program, I'm sorry that I don't know where you get
one, mine was always there in the OS as '/usr/bin/tar'

> Mac 2: Intell macbook pro running 10.4.10.
>
> Can't really get started.  In fact, I get the following
> errors when trying to start Octave.app:
> error: structure has no member `archprefix'

Note: Please don't mix startups of different Octave.apps 2.9.14..2.9.17. The
pkg command has been changed and the `archprefix' (I think) was there for the
first time in Octave.app 2.9.15.

I recall a very useful message from Soren here:' The structure of the octave
package database has changed since 2.9.14. To fix this startup messages you
have to delete the package database located in ~/.octave_packages'. Then don't
startup Octave.app 2.9.14 anymore.

<SNIP>
> Similar errors occur for version 2.9.15 and 2.9.16.  I
> downloaded a fresh copy of 2.9.14 and it works fine.

Yes ok, as described before.

> For what it's worth, the compilations errors that are
> issued when I try to compile ARPACK are below, but
> presumably, these arise from the same problems that
> keeps Octave from working in the first place.
>
> Thanks very much!
> Mark
>

> dhcp-67-154:~/ARPACK markmcclure$ make lib
> Making lib in /Users/markmcclure/ARPACK/BLAS
> Makefile:69: warning: overriding commands for target `.f.o'
> ../ARmake.inc:95: warning: ignoring old commands for target `.f.o'

Please delete the spaces between 'PATH = ' in your ARmake.inc and try again. It
should look like 'PATH=/App...'.

  Thomas