Re: Windows Vista and Octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Windows Vista and Octave
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:03:18 +0100

> Hi Matsuoka,
>
> I'm trying to write a makefile to compile Octave using MSVC.  Can you
> provide any help?

I would not advise you to try it, it took me weeks to get a complete
working system where I can compile octave with MSVC (with all the
needed dependencies). The available binary packages should work on
most systems. Do you have any reason to not use the binary
packages?

If you still want to give it a try, there's some information in README.MSVC
found in the octave source package. All compilation support files I use
are available in octave-forge SVN (trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc),
including compilation instruction and patches. There's also the automated
compilation script run_compilation.sh, which I use to update my system
and generate binary packages. In its simplest form, call it like
(from its location directory)

./run_compilation -v --release=2.9.17 --forge=20071014

where --release is the octave release version and --forge is for the
octave-forge
release version. Adding the --nsi flag will generate binary packages (you'll
need NSIS software installed). Note that this compilation script does *not*
compile ATLAS by default, you have to specify --atlas (I didn't use this option
for a while, so I'm not sure it still works correctly).

Michael.