Re: Identify auto tick locations

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Identify auto tick locations
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:55:43 -0500 (EST)

Peter Gustafson wrote:

    should avoid even the appearance of impropriety.  However phrases
    like "cleanroom methodology", "copyrighted algorithm", and "prose" only
serve
    to confuse the problem.

I was careless in writing about 're-implementing copyrighted algorithms',
where I meant 're-implementing an algorithm, to avoid violating a copyright
on someone else's implementation'---thanks to Peter on calling me out
on this.

I do think that the only safe way to re-implement is to go back to the
specification ('prose'). My point is that it's not just a legally
sound 'cleanroom' approach---it's also good for the code quality, as
it essentially follows Donald Knuth's 'literate programming' method.
As someone said, the real purpose of the code is to explain the algorithm
to the next maintainer.

      greetings