Re: creating an oct file for use in Windows

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: creating an oct file for use in Windows
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:44:51 +0900 (JST)

Hi Steve

Perhaps you see my old page. I had to erase it to avoid confusion.
I apolgize for that.

Please visit the following and get the newest information
http://www.geocities.jp/tmoctwin/

By the way, the ckw was a good console application on windows but
the author closed his page because it does not work on Windows Vista correctly.
He also is the author of ck : the powerful terminal emulator for cygwin.
(Unfortunately the ck page is writtten in Japanese.)
Perhaps he decided to use his time for the ck only.

However I suppose your native langauage is English.
'The console ver2' bundled with the Octave-2.9.15 is perfect for English mode.
The batch file in the note in http://www.geocities.jp/tmoctwin/
is for the default windows console.
If you would like to use 'the console ver2',  you have revise the batch file.

So in the newest page, the description of the ckw has been deleted.

If you have trouble even you read the newest information, please reply me again.

Regards.

Tatsuro

--- Steve wrote:

Hi Tatsuro,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I downloaded  MSVC-Octave -2.9.15 from Sourceforge.  Note that after
installation,  when I start Octave, it says that it is version 2.9.13.

I am having a bit of trouble understanding the directions for using
mkoctfile inside of octave.  The instructions say
 Set required enrionmental variables for the MSVC Express edition,

I wrote a batch file, called vars.bat,  which contains the following:

*********Example for startup batch file to use mkoctfile.
  @echo off
  call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat"
  call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\SetEnv.Cmd"
  rem "C:\Programs\Octave2.9.12-3" is the folder where the octave has been
installed.
  rem 'ckw' is a very light command cosole tool.
(www.geocities.jp/cygwin_ck/ckw-0.8.10-bin.zip)
  set LIB=%LIB%;C:\Programs\Octave2.9.12-3\lib
  "C:\Program Files\ckw\octave2.9.12-3\ckw.exe" -e
"C:\Programs\Octave2.9.12-3\bin\octave"

If I call vars.bat from a DOS prompt  these environment variables will only
be visible inside that DOS session.  To make these variables visible  to
Octave I did system('d:\mydir\vars.bat') which executed.  However, the
environment variable VSINSTALLDIR is not set.   getenv('VSINSTALLDIR ')
returns empty.  Do I have to go inside the Control Panel and set these
variables permanently?

Also what does ckw.exe do?   I can't look at your site since
www.geocities.*  is blocked at work.

Steve