Re: 20 GB console.log documents generated

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 20 GB console.log documents generated
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:00:54 -0400

On 30-Oct-2007, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

| I am not Cal, but I do not understand since when 20000 points becomes
| "too many."
| I am routinely plot 10 times as much. I would like to have a rough idea what
| my data look like before start messing with it. BTW on my computer the
| Cal's code returns:
|

| octave:1> tic
| octave:2>
| octave:2> T = 0 : 0.0001 : 2 - .0001;
| octave:3> Y = 2.3*sin(2*pi*10*T);
| octave:4>
| octave:4> toc
| Elapsed time is 0.129105 seconds.
| octave:5>
| octave:5> plot(T,Y)
| octave:6>
| octave:6> toc
| Elapsed time is 1.222946 seconds.
| octave:7> whos Y
|
| *** local user variables:
|
|   Prot Name        Size                     Bytes  Class
|   ==== ====        ====                     =====  =====
|    rwd Y           1x20000                 160000  double
|
| Total is 20000 elements using 160000 bytes
|
| octave:8>
|
| Of course, after the last "toc" gnuplot takes some (very short) time
| to plot the data octave handed to it. This is with octave-2.9.9 on
| Fedora 7, so octave still writes the temp data file (0.5M).

On my system it took around two seconds to do this.  So there may be
some penalty for sending the data in a pipe to gnuplot, but it should
still work.

| In any case, if PPC version chocks on this, there is something
| really, really wrong with that setup...

Defnitely.  But I don't think it is Octave's fault.  As I think I said
before, Octave does not directly write to any file called
console.log.  That sounds like it might be some history thing created
by the terminal application in which Octave is running.  I think
someone more familiar with OS X (I think it was OS X) will have to
comment.

jwe