Re: 20 GB console.log documents generated

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: 20 GB console.log documents generated
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:58:53 -0500

On 29/10/2007, Cal <address@hidden> wrote:

>  I can send the code when I get home to my machine there. I work on
> MatLab at work and often work with huge files, 10^6 points or so.

Working with huge files is different from plotting that many
points. My current guess is that since Octave communicates with
gnuplot through pipes and temporary files (or has this changed?), you
had to send a ridiculously large amount of data to gnuplot.

I am guessing that MacOS X's console must log this information
somewhere, accounting for the huge logs, but I don't know anything
useful about MacOS X, so I could be wrong.

> But I also wanted to compare how long it took octave to perform the
> task versus scilab.

What was the task, exactly? I'll wait until you can show us the code.

>  P.S. I forgot to CC help-octave in my reply sorry for duplicating
>  to you

Yes, thanks for remembering to keep the conversation on list so that
others may participate.

If I could further kindly request that you do not top-post replies to
me (top-posted replies look really horrible in the mailing list
archives), I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
- Jordi G. H.