Re: use of ATLAS library in octave

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: use of ATLAS library in octave
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:59:31 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 25-Oct-2007, Himanshu B. Dave wrote:

| First let me say that octave is an excellent effort at making available
| a open-source software comparable to a well-known commercial one.
| I would like to see that more and more enineering students, researchers and
| engnineers use it. But,  for that to happen, the installation of octave
| should
| be as painless as possible. For example, a mechanical engineer,
| enthusiastically
| trying to install octave, may find considerable hiccups.

Yes, it has become somewhat tricky to install Octave from sources if
you don't know what you are doing.  I don't know how to avoid that.
It's a complicated system with many dependencies that tries to work on
a wide variety of systems.  But in any case, there are binary packages
for most systems that take care of all these details.  Ordinary users
are encouraged to use the binary packages, not build Octave from
scratch.

| I have come across one. This is due to the developers of octave using an
| internal
| function of a published library (ATLAS). This is NOT good programming
| practice.

You've misunderstood the situation.  As I explained in a previous
message, Octave does not call dormrz directly.

| You are not supposed to use internal, unpublished functions of a library.

You are confused about what is happening and now you seem to be
implying that we are sloppy programmers.

Compilation of octave is fairly involved, but installation is very easy if you use a precompiled binary. There are binaries available for Windows, Mac, and many Linux distributions. Did you ever try using precompiled binaries?

Quentin