planning to try 64 bit octave with Atlas 3.8

From: Michael Creel
Subject: planning to try 64 bit octave with Atlas 3.8
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:04:36 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote:

> If you compile with --enable-64, you will see the following message at
> the end of the configure run:
>
> configure: WARNING: You used the EXPERIMENTAL --enable-64 option.
> configure: WARNING: Are you sure that is what you want to do?
> configure: WARNING:
> configure: WARNING: You must ensure that the Fortran compiler generates
> configure: WARNING: code with 8 byte signed INTEGER values, and that your
> configure: WARNING: BLAS and LAPACK libraries are compiled to use 8 byte
> configure: WARNING: signed integers for array indexing.
>
> In addition to the library/compiler issues, there are a number of
> other things that are not comletely implemented.  People who are
> interested in seeing a fully functional 64-bit aware version of Octave
> are encouraged to contribute.
>
> jwe

Anticipating some good performance improvements due to threading on multiple
cores,  I'm planning on trying to make a 64 bit Octave using Atlas 3.8, so
I'd appreciate any pointers about how to do so before wading in. In addition
to atlas, what else might I need to self-compile? I'm using Debian. Thanks,
M.