Re: version of SuiteSparse?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: version of SuiteSparse?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:56:10 -0400

On 17-Oct-2007, Thomas Weber wrote:

| Am Dienstag, den 16.10.2007, 21:13 -0400 schrieb Ben Abbott:
| > On Oct 16, 2007, at 5:12 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
| >
| > To be clear, while I'm not up to speed on the details of concerning
| > GPL projects linking to non-GPL libraries, I was surprised that
| > SuiteSparse did this. I have no personal problem with leaving Metis
| > out, but don't expect the Fink team will like the idea of a partial
| > package for SuiteSparse ...
|
| Then they'd better get permission to distribute Metis.
| http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/metis/metis/faq?q=metis/metis/faq#distribute

But that still doesn't help for Octave unless you can get the terms of
Metis changed so that commercial redistribution is allowed and also so
that users of the Fink package do not have to also ask permission to
redistribute their copies of Metis.  Otherwise, distributing a copy of
Octave that is linked with Metis is not allowed by the GPL.

jwe