Re: version of SuiteSparse?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: version of SuiteSparse?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:13:59 -0400

On Oct 16, 2007, at 5:12 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 16-Oct-2007, Ben Abbott wrote:

| I'm working on putting together Fink packages for Metis and SuiteSparse to enable the Fink version of Octave (on OS X) to use SuiteSparse.

Metis is optional.  It is also not free software with a GPL compatible
license, so you should not distribute Octave binaries that are linked
with it.  Instead, build the SuiteSparse library in a way that it does
not depend on Metis.

| Can someone tell me which version of SuiteSparse should be used?
|
| The info on the web I located appears to indicate 2.4.0.
|
| However, since SuiteSparse is presently at 3.0.0, I thought I'd ask
|  in the event info I found on the web is out of date.

What info on the web would that be?

Sorry, I don't know the details about the best version of SuiteSparse
to use, but the Debian packages are apparently based on 3.0.0.

jwe

I'm hoping to produce a Fink package for SuiteSparse ... and to provide a Metis package to support a fully functional SuiteSparse package. I'll work with the Fink team on the details, as this is new to me. In any event, I'll also have to work on keeping the Metis out of Octave ... again something I'll need help with from the Fink experts.

With regards to the info on the web, I was referring to package managers like MacPorts and others. So I was not referring to Octave's site.

To be clear, while I'm not up to speed on the details of concerning GPL projects linking to non-GPL libraries, I was surprised that SuiteSparse did this. I have no personal problem with leaving Metis out, but don't expect the Fink team will like the idea of a partial package for SuiteSparse ... however, I'll raise the question once I'm successful with developing a functioning package.

Thanks
Ben