Re: save: Inf or NaN values may not be reloadable

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: save: Inf or NaN values may not be reloadable
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:06:15 -0400

On  8-Oct-2007, Kim Hansen wrote:

| On 9/24/07, Antonio Palestrini <address@hidden> wrote:
| > > warning: save: Inf or NaN values may not be reloadable
| >
| > > How do I know if Infs and NaNs _will_ be reloadable? What's the matter
| > here?
| > Since I never had problem in saving and loading Inf and NaN values MY GUESS
| > is that if you save data in a text file the warning inform you about the
| > possibility to have problems in exchanging data with others software.
|
| Does anyone know if this is a warning about incompatibility with
| current octave versions, older (ancient?) octave versions or third
| party software?

It's an old warning and is present because Octave used to rely
entirely on the system functions for reading floating point values,
and not all systems could read NaN and Inf values stored in text
files.  Now Octave scans the files for Inf/NaN/NA before reading float
values with the system library, so it should always be possible to
reload text files that contain Inf/NaN/NA values.

| Is there a way to suppress this warning?

For now, save data in binary formats?  Edit the Octave sources and
rebuild Octave?

Since the warning was not issued consistently, and it is more or less
obsolete, I'm removing it from my sources so it should not appear in
Octave 3.0.

Thanks,

jwe