Re: geting started in Ubuntu

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: geting started in Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:29:38 +0200

Dear Doug

Are you sure that the Ubuntu package manager can't find Octave? I am sure Octave is in the Ubuntu packages (propably version 2.9.9 or 2.9.10). If you can't find it in the GUI-package manager, type the following to the shell, and type your password when asked for it:

sudo apt-get install octave

If, however, you want the latest version (2.9.14 I believe) you'll have to compile that from the sources. Its a little bit more work, but I really like version 2.9.14 because of the new Matlab-like plotting stuff. I can help you to get started with that if you decide to go this way.

Cheers
Matthias