Re: 2.9.14 on Mac OSX: EDITOR command not found

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: 2.9.14 on Mac OSX: EDITOR command not found
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:05:38 -0400

On Oct 1, 2007, at 5:15 PM, DushanM wrote:

The EDITOR environment variable specified in the file '/etc/bashrc'  has
the string 'TextMate', and this seems generally to work.  But when I
type 'edit-history' from within octave, the response is (the first line
and '=>' on the second line are the prompt)

    *** octave-2.9.14:7$
    => edit_history 121 121
    sh: line 1: textmate: command not found
    error: invalid vector index = 115
    error: near line 1 of file `/var/tmp/oct-rO2UkC'

What am I doing wrong?  How do I get octave to use my preferred editor?
Thanks.

- Dushan Mitrovich

I'm also on Mac OS X and have been looking for an editor to use with Octave. I've just installed TextMate to try it out. Upon installation it asked to place the program "mate" into /usr/bin. "mate" may be run from the command line, but TextMate must be run by clicking on the icon (i.e. graphically).

If you find that /usr/bin/mate exists then all you need to do is replace  is there, then you all you need is to place the following

export EDITOR=mate

in your bashrc file.

fwiw, TextMate does look promising. However, I'll give emacs and octave.el a try 1st ... provided I can figure out out how to set it up ... and if I can find an up to date version of octave.el