2.9.14 on Mac OSX: EDITOR command not found

From: DushanM
Subject: 2.9.14 on Mac OSX: EDITOR command not found
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:15:47 -0600

The EDITOR environment variable specified in the file '/etc/bashrc'  has
the string 'TextMate', and this seems generally to work.  But when I
type 'edit-history' from within octave, the response is (the first line
and '=>' on the second line are the prompt)

    *** octave-2.9.14:7$
    => edit_history 121 121
    sh: line 1: textmate: command not found
    error: invalid vector index = 115
    error: near line 1 of file `/var/tmp/oct-rO2UkC'

What am I doing wrong?  How do I get octave to use my preferred editor?
Thanks.

- Dushan Mitrovich