Re: What should an Octave GUI be like?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: What should an Octave GUI be like?
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:57:53 -0500

On 26/09/2007, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Javier Arantegui wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > El Miércoles, 26 de Septiembre de 2007, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso escribió:
> >
> >> Should QtOctave follow the same design principles like a single
> >> workspace with non-overlapping windows and mostly useless information
> >> in them, or open many small independent subwindows for each new
> >> functionality requested?
> >>

> > I think that QtOctave's author plans to add a lot of flexibility about how
> > the
> > windows should be on screen. It seems that he plans to support both MDI and
> > SDI.
> >

> I haven't messed around with QtOctave much lately (does it still
> implement its own interpreter?),

Sorta. Half and half. Version 0.6.x still doesn't use readline, but
instead queries Octave for tab-completion and it keeps its own
history. I think Pedro Lucas just found out about the change you made
in the octave_server class, and he thought it was interesting. Maybe
he'll incorporate that into his next release.

> I use dockable widgets so

Ah, that sounds like the best solution. I'll start looking into how to
do this for Qt.

- Jordi G. H.